Saturday 7 February 2009

The Clock, Welwyn

I was really sad to learn this week that the Clock Hotel in Welwyn had closed. This hotel (located at junction 6 of the A1M) has been called the Quality Hotel Welwyn in recent years, but most people still refer to it as "The Clock".

I only hope that this iconic landmark can be bought by someone who has the resources and is prepared to bring it back as a going concern.

If there is any possibility of it being saved, let's hope it happens soon - the fabric of an empty building deteriorates very quickly, and it would be very depressing to see it fall into disrepair. However, I realise that this may be a forlorn hope in the current economic situation.

1 comment:

chris johnson said...

So sad, shocked choaked in my throat as I saw it all boarded up. My father Reg Johnson worked himself to a stroke and retirement in transforming it in the 70s to place to drink, eat, party and stay - all with that personal service and charisma that madee it a popular place. Saturday nights and dinner dances went with a real swing and people from all over the world loved staying there. Such a waste and I hope someone revives it.